Wednesday, April 22, 2009
Earth Day Recommendations from EWG
Make a personal change:
* Switch to earth-friendly lightbulbs. Start with our Green Lighting Guide to identify which energy-efficient bulbs have the least mercury, where in your home they should go and how to use them safely. http://www.ewg.org/greenlightbulbs
* Eat organic when you can. Put our Shopper's Guide to Pesticides in your wallet or on your iPhone (now!) so you can eat organic without breaking the bank. http://www.foodnews.org/
* Do that dusting. Pets and young children are the most vulnerable to dust-bound pollutants, but cleaning your home is free, easy, and everyone benefits from cleaner indoor air.
* Ask the Energy Star program to reduce mercury in compact fluorescent light bulbs. The program requirements lag behind industry advancements; Energy Star should lead, not follow.
* Tell the EPA to set a truly health-protective safety standard for perchlorate in drinking water. Perchlorate is known to interfere with thyroid hormones essential for brain development, so it poses particular risks to the fetus, infants and young children.